Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018 raises over Rs 34.36 crores, shattering all previous records
The Tata Mumbai Marathon (TMM) is much more than a Marathon, it is a showcase for the ‘Can do… Will Do’ spirit of humanity. The event transcends sport and encourages the ‘Power of the Collective’ to make a difference. The event has ignited a spirit of giving, empowering countless individuals to bond with civil society for the change they want to see in it.
United Way of Mumbai, the event’s philanthropy partner, continued their commitment towards charity and shattered all previous records raising over Rs. 34.36 crores, an unprecedented achievement.
With this, the cumulative amount raised by the event in 15 years since its inception in 2004 has breached the Rs 200 crores mark, standing at an impressive Rs. 229.16 crores today. This re-affirms TMM as the single largest sporting platform for philantrophy in India.
‘Giving’ through TMM reached a new high as 262 NGOs, 169 Corporates, 266 teams, 231 Young Leaders along with thousands of individual donors and fundraisers came forward to support a host of social causes including Education, Disability, Health Care, Women Empowerment, Children, Animal Welfare & Environment, Livelihood, Social, Civic & Community Development, Art, Elderly, and Gender among others.
Commenting on the occasion, Jayanti Shukla, Executive Director, United Way Mumbai, said, “"From humble beginnings in 2004, the Mumbai Marathon has grown by leaps and bounds in the charity domain. Each year, our supporters - individuals, corporates and charities - raise the bar and raise incredible amounts of funds, always surpassing past results and setting new benchmarks. This year we have raised Rs. 34.36 crores for 262 charities! Also, we have the contribution of incredible individuals like Mr. Sankara Raman, who has raised Rs.1.32 crores for Amar Seva Sangam, becoming the highest fundraising individual in the history of the Mumbai Marathon. The scale of achievement in philanthropy makes the Tata Mumbai Marathon a unique event; highly anticipated every year. I would like to thank each and every one who has contributed to the Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018. Without their efforts, this achievement would not be possible!”
“The Tata Group has always believed that the community is core to our existence and we are delighted that the Tata Mumbai Marathon has become such an important annual event to raise awareness and funds about various social causes. Our heartiest congratulations to all those runners who have successfully made an impact by participating in the Tata Mumbai Marathon,” said Harish Bhat, Brand Custodian, Tata Sons.
Sharing the pride, Vivek B Singh, Joint MD of Procam International said, “We are glad that through Tata Mumbai Marathon we have been able to awaken not only a passion for running in the maximum city but also a spirit of giving - helping us all #BeBetter human beings. It is inspiring to see citizens of this country open up their hearts for a cause and go that extra mile to create a positive impact. We are extremely proud and compliment the exemplary work done by the fund-raisers, in making the philanthropy pillar stronger. Together with the team at United Way, we shall continue to expand the philanthropy base of the event and make it even more appealing”
The 2018 edition of the event has truly represented the mantra – #BEBETTER. Today NGOs, corporate entities, and individuals are the triumvirates of transformation - continually pushing the envelope for a positive social change. Some highlights of TMM 2018:
- The introduction of a new 10Km race distancevia charity added a new dimension to the race garnering the participation of 1100 individuals.
- Growing year-on-year, a remarkable example of fundraising has been the Young Leaders category. This year, 112 Young Leadersbelow the age of 21 years raised INR 2.01 crores for their respective NGOs. The youngest fundraiser was only 3 years old. Out of this total, 29 Young Leaders are also Change Runners, who have gone beyond the minimum target set in support of their chosen cause.
- The torchbearers of social change are the Change Icons - Sankara Raman, Ms. Villy Doctor, V.S. Parthasarathy, K. V. S. Manian, Ms. Shanti Ekambaram, Sadashiv S. Rao, and Abhay Jasani who have collectively raised INR 4,99,21,147 for seven NGOs. It is interesting to note – Tamil Nadu’s wheelchair-bound Sankara Raman individually raised INR 1.32 crores for Amar Seva Sangam, highest by any fundraiser in the history of the event!
- For the first time ever, the top six NGOshave raised more than INR 1 crore each - Shrimad Rajchandra Love and Care, Amar Seva Sangam, Isha Vidhya, Cancer Patients Aid Association, K. C. Mahindra Education Trust and Life of Lite Trust collectively raised INR 8,58,40,925
- 169 corporates participated in the Tata Mumbai Marathon, fielding 266 teams and raising INR 19.47 crore for 98 NGOs.
TATA MUMBAI MARATHON – FUND-RAISER WINNERS ACROSS DIFFERENT CATEGORIES
- Highest Fundraising NGO: Shrimad Rajchandra Love and Care – INR 3,46,24,875
- 2ndHighest Fundraising NGO: Amar Seva Sangam – INR 1,43,23,340
- 3rdHighest Fundraising NGO: Isha Vidhya – INR 1,32,00,314
- 4thHighest Fundraising NGO: Cancer Patients Aid Association INR 1,20,01,893
- 5thLight of Life Trust – INR 1,16,90,504
- Highest Fundraising Corporate: Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd.– INR 1,77,53,772
- 2ndHighest Fundraising Corporate: Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd. - INR 1,32,01,621
- 3rdHighest Fundraising Corporate: Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd. – INR 72,65,379
- Highest Fundraising Young Leader / Change Champion: Siddharth Dutt Roncon – INR 25, 25,252
- 2ndHighest Fundraising Young Leader: Malini Kohli - INR 16,33,350
CHANGE CHAMPIONS - Individuals committing to raise INR 25 lakhs and up to INR 49.99 lakh
- Highest Fundraiser: Manish Kothari – INR 33,02,128
CHANGE ICONS - Individuals committing to raise INR 50 lakhs or above
- Highest Fundraiser: Sankara Raman – INR 1,32,35,002
- 2ndHighest Fundraiser: Ms. Villy Doctor – INR 73,60,169
- TMM Change Icon: V.S. Parthasarathy – INR 72,65,379
- TMM Change Icon: K. V. S. Manian – INR 62,21,100
- TMM Change Icon: Ms. Shanti Ekambaram – INR 57,19,000
- TMM Change Icon: Sadashiv S. Rao – INR 51,20,500
- TMM Change Icon: Abhay Jasani – INR 50,00,000